The Do's & Dont's of Broken Auto Glass Repair
The Do's & Don’ts of Broken Auto Glass Repair
Almost everyone has had to deal with a windshield repair or windshield replacement. The majority of repairs are caused by rock chips that have either hit your windshield while driving and you have had to have a rock chip repair done, or your windshield crack and you may have ignored it until you needed to have a windshield replacement done.
There are all sorts of ways windshield auto glass can become damaged, if you live in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis or St Paul you know how harsh the weather can be and hail, ice, falling branches can all cause windshield damage. At the time, it may seem like an inconvenience to have to take your car in for rock chip repair, windshield repair, or a windshield replacement, but luckily the auto glass installers at Only 1 Auto Glass work quickly and affordable. Therefore, if you reside in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis or St Paul you’re lucky all you have to do is Google Auto Glass MN and Only 1 Auto Glass will appear right there at your fingertips.
When it comes to chipped or broken auto glass there are several things you should do and several things you should not do such as the following:
- If you want an idea if you will need an auto glass repair or an auto glass replacement you can measure the chipped or damaged glass, if it is less than a foot long you will most likely only need a windshield repair.
- If you have no choice but to drive your car before having the auto glass repaired it is very important to make sure the chip or crack is not going to disrupt your view. As it is illegal to drive if your view is obstructed and the fines can be pretty hefty.
- Protect the chipped or cracked area of your windshield with a small piece of clear tape to protect it from dirt or other small objects from getting in it. When dirt works its way into the chip or crack the auto glass installers may have a more difficult time repairing it.
- Stay away from the sun. Park inside a garage or in a shady area. Letting heat buildup in your car can weaken the windshield even further and cause the crack to grow.
- Do not ignore the chip or crack in your windshield. Rock chips and small cracks can spider and you could end up having to have a windshield replacement.
- Do not tur on your defroster, heater, or air conditioner on full blast when you get in the car. The extreme change in temperatures will weaken the windshield glass. You must gradually increase/decrease the temperature as your car warms up or cools down.
- Do not slam your car doors and try to avoid pot holes and other objects that will cause a jolt to the damaged windshield. Jolts can cause the damaged windshield to weaken and spread.
- Do not go to a mechanic for your auto glass repair or replacement needs. Use an auto glass shop.
Only 1 Auto Glass will have your windshield repaired or replaced quickly and affordably.
Comments are closed for this post, but if you have spotted an error or have additional info that you think should be in this post, feel free to contact us.